Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alternative


Before you enter my new friend, 
stop for a while,
wait outside this door.
let me go inside first.
and clean out the mess, 

sift the disillusion from the dreams;
light the gloomy corners.
dust the cobwebs of regret.
quiet the echoes of cold sighs.


Let me turn off the radio that is still playing ‘our songs’
pick up the broken glasses, congealed tears, specks of blood-
wipe the tiny puddle of water on the floor, 

that had dripped from his wet body,
and the sweats of a tired love drying on the walls, 

the ice cold moans, smell of old food.

A wet patch on the pillow, where his face had been.
Let me pick up that crumpled paper of incomplete poem,
One sock that he forgot to pack.
A shiny coin that had fallen from his trouser pocket.
The sweet tinkle of its fall; some sound in this deathly silence.
A souvenir, a lucky charm.

Let me throw away the droopy flowers, 

the parting gift – the last bunch.
Muffle those pillow talks …
The scrap of blue night, like his eyes.
Let me pull the curtains on it.

The gloom of these vaulted walls, the exit...

Ah, you are departing-?
Well, then, fare you well, my new friend,
And forgive.



© Nazia Mallick  

8 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Terrific poem, Nazia, powerful and haunting and full of the sadness of goodbye.

Nazia Mallick said...

Thank you very much Elisabeth.

It is also about letting go...or not letting go...

Tanzila said...

I had tears... Thank you for writing something that just takes my feelings from the crevices of my being and brings them to the front...

Nazia Mallick said...

Thank You Tanzila

The tears of a reader is the most priceless treasure!

Basque-Land said...

This reminds me of a poem I wrote when I was in my 20's about "Woman Doing Laundry", cleaning my apartment of his smell, his bits and pieces left behind as if I could wash him away...

Nazia Mallick said...

Yes,Rozanna, it does feel like that.

But one can't wash it away too soon, it takes its own course.

Would love to read that poem "Woman doing laundry"

Basque-Land said...

I will try to find that poem, thank you Nazia for your interest and attention.

Nazia said...

Thank you.

I shall look forward to reading it.

Kindled

Last night You wrote your sonnets in  Braille: the commas, parenthesis,  Ellipses... engraved perfectly on my skin- and I  w...