Do you regret?


I don’t understand when people say “I have no regrets.” Because, personally I feel that we cannot be truly without regrets. Those viscous dregs of regrets remain stuck at the bottom of our hearts no matter how much we try to deny it. Or scrub it away, for that matter.
The unobtained, the undone in our lives. Remembrances of things we loved once but learned - or had to learn- to live without.
The cherished project abandoned due to certain factual specifications that did not fit into our current lives (and by the time they did we were too disheartened to go back to them)
That hobby, art that one could not pursue and kept postponing until the desire died down.

Regrets caused by lovers who chose to live without us. Regrets caused by lovers who chose to live with us.

The love I couldn’t return. The loving gesture that died in the hesitation of ‘many second thoughts’. The love that I was afraid to express and the person moved on. The romance I allowed to slip away because real life came in between. The love I couldn’t express enough, while my parents were still living.
The friends I trusted and was betrayed. The enemies whom I did not trust would truly harm me, and they did.

The list goes on...

And- I envy you, when you say, “I have no regrets.”

Comments

Elisabeth said…
I'm with you here, Nazia. I always have regrets.

If only I knew then what I know now things would be so different. Thanks for this profound post.
mehnaz said…
salams,
as always your posts are very interesting and this one brings on myriad thoughts! oscar wilde' said " Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."
In a song I heard recently Robbie Williams sings " no regrets, they dont work, No regrests now they only hurt"!!!!!!

Best regards
Mehnaz
Nazia Mallick said…
Thank you very much Elisabeth!

As always, yours is the authentic voice.
Nazia Mallick said…
Thank you Mehnaz, for elaborating on my thoughts with these insightful quotes.

All best.
Bibin said…
Oh yes...i totally agree with you. I only wish people were more honest, but maybe some of them really dont have any regrets. There are a lot of people who dont cling on to the past. They just move on; I am definitely not one of them. But, i really doubt in the bottom of their hearts if that is true.But, if they do, they are lucky.

However, I must tell you that introspecting and regretting things to understand what went wrong without prejudice would make you a more mature person. I have always felt that and today I feel I am at peace, much more than I was a year. I was constantly introspecting and it was a painful process going through the things you regret and did not want to think over and over again. The courage I got by doing that is inexplainable. I have an indomitable attitude to things. The pain is subsiding.

Thanx and Regards
Bibin
Nazia Mallick said…
Thanks Bibin

I accept your thoughts on regrets about "what went wrong" and "Introspection" .
It is valuable .
However, most of the regrets are about the things I did 'not' do.
Basque-Land said…
Regrets about what we did do, did not do, cause the same ache sometimes. Like Bibin points out introspection does give wisdom and maturity. That "ache" is what gives me grit, depth,and humility and the energy to seek and work harder for peace. Regrets have a place in my apartment so to speak.
Nazia Mallick said…
Thank you Rozanna

Good to see I am not alone.

Popular posts from this blog

The Woman Within

Making Stories

Kindled